Monday, September 23, 2013

The Two Edged Sword

September 23, 2013

Good Morning My Beloved Ones,

            I pray with each day your confidence is growing in who you are and in your unique purpose in this world.

            Today I want to talk to you about “The Two-edged Sword”.  Hebrews 4:12 says, “The Word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two-edged sword…”  What is a two-edged sword?  Most blades have one sharp cutting edge and a duller, flatter edge.  A two-edged sword is one that cuts both ways.

            One of the most comforting scriptures in the Bible is Hebrews 13:5:  “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee.”  How many times when I’ve been in trouble, felt alone, was scared, have I clung to these words?  And I felt the Lord’s presence and the comfort these words were intended to convey.  But I’ve also felt the other edge of the sword.  When God said, “I will never leave thee…”, He meant I will never leave thee.  God is right there during those times when I am not feeling so spiritual, when I am making deliberate choices to sin or behave in a way that is not pleasing to God.  He doesn’t turn His back, look away or go for a walk during these times.  He never leaves me nor forsakes me.

            So, is the purpose of the two-edged sword to bless me when I’m good and punish me when I’m bad?  No.  The purpose is found in the rest of Hebrews 4:12: “…piercing to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit…and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.”  Your soul is your mind, will and emotions.  Your spirit is what was breathed into you by God.  The purpose of the two-edged sword is to separate soul and spirit so we will have a clear choice whether to serve self (soul) or God (spirit).

            Have you ever said or done something then had the thought, “Now why did I do that?”  Our scripture tells us that the two-edged sword is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

            Thank God for His precious word.  I love it more each day.  It brings me comfort from His promises but also cuts the other way and shows me who I am and who I need to be.  The wounds of a friend are faithful Proverbs 27:6 tells us.  We may get wounded by the two edged sword at times, but those wounds are faithful to make us into the child of God we are meant to be.


Love in Christ, Raelynn

No comments:

Post a Comment