Saturday, October 18, 2014

I'm a Good Person


Good Morning My Beloved Ones,

      I pray peace to your spirit, love to your heart, joy to your soul, and wisdom to your mind.

     Today I want to talk to you about, “I’m a Good Person”.  Over the years, I’ve asked people, “If you were to die tonight, would you go to Heaven?”  I’ve never had anyone answer, “No”.  I usually hear, “Yes”, “I hope so”, “I think so”, or “I don’t know”.  The next line that usually follows the last three responses is, “I’m a good person.  I keep the 10 Commandments.  I haven’t killed anyone.”

     We humans have become very good at deceiving ourselves.  The truth is, there is no such thing as a good person.  In Matthew 19:17 Jesus said, “…there is none good but one, that is God…”  Good people don’t make it to Heaven because they don’t exist.  Only those who admit they are sinners (that they fail and are not good), who accept Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross for their sins gain eternal life. 

     Let’s look at the rest of the responses for a minute.  Would you say you’ve kept the 10 Commandments, beloved ones?  If we believe we have, I’d say again that we are deceiving ourselves.  We usually jump right to the big two:  I haven’t killed anyone and I haven’t committed adultery, and based on these two kept commandments declare ourselves to be a good person.  But what about the very first commandment?  Thou shalt have no other gods before Me.  Is Jesus really first in every area of your life?  Have your own will and desires ever been put before God’s will and desires for your life?  If so, you’ve made yourself a god before Him.

     We’re not good people, beloved ones.  We can’t even keep the first commandment much less master all ten.  But God in His mercy made a way for us in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.  Whether or not you’ve ever killed anyone, you are not a good person and you’ve not kept the 10 Commandments.  Me neither.

     Let’s be honest with ourselves and God and accept the sacrifice Jesus made for us.  Once you do, if you are ever asked, you can say with confidence, “Good people don’t go to Heaven, but I’m going to, thanks to my Lord Jesus Christ.”

 

No one comes to the Father but by Jesus - Raelynn

No comments:

Post a Comment